top of page
Some Haiti Facts
*Haiti is one of two countries located on the Caribbean Island or Hispaniola. The other country on the island is the Dominican Republic.
* The entire country of Haiti is smaller than the state of Maryland.
*The capital city is Port-au-Prince
* The median age is only 22.6 years old.
*Haiti is the second oldest independent nation in the Western Hemisphere.....after the US
*Is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere
*10% of all children born in Haiti die before their 5th birthday
*80% of all Haitian people live below the poverty line
* It is estimated that there are around 450,000 orphans currently living in Haiti.
*Over half of the population of Haiti cannot read or write.
*The gourd has always been an important plant in Haiti and the money is now named gourds.
* Tourism is one of the biggest industries on the island
*Over 120,000 people in Haiti have HIV/AIDS
* Waterborne illnesses, such as typhoid, cholera, and chronic diarrhea, are the cause of more than half of the deaths in the country every year.
*Most schools in Haiti are run by communities or religious organizations.
*Only about 20% of Haitian children have a chance to attend school above the 6th grade
If you would like to keep up with Haiti news, weather and current events, we recommend checking out Haiti Libre news source.
bottom of page