Some Haiti Facts
*Haiti is one of two countries located on the Caribbean Island or Hispaniola. The other country on the island is the Dominican Republic.
* The entire country of Haiti is smaller than the state of Maryland.
*The capital city is Port-au-Prince
* The median age is only 22.6 years old.
*Haiti is the second oldest independent nation in the Western Hemisphere.....after the US
*Is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere
*10% of all children born in Haiti die before their 5th birthday
*80% of all Haitian people live below the poverty line
* It is estimated that there are around 450,000 orphans currently living in Haiti.
*Over half of the population of Haiti cannot read or write.
*The gourd has always been an important plant in Haiti and the money is now named gourds.
* Tourism is one of the biggest industries on the island
*Over 120,000 people in Haiti have HIV/AIDS
* Waterborne illnesses, such as typhoid, cholera, and chronic diarrhea, are the cause of more than half of the deaths in the country every year.
*Most schools in Haiti are run by communities or religious organizations.
*Only about 20% of Haitian children have a chance to attend school above the 6th grade
If you would like to keep up with Haiti news, weather and current events, we recommend checking out Haiti Libre news source.